Hunstanton to Kelling Hard
The North Norfolk Shoreline Management Plan (second generation) covers approximately 75 kilometres of coastline from Old Hunstanton in the west to Kelling Hard in the east. It will determine the best way to look after this part of the coast in a sustainable way for the next 100 years.
The plan was developed by a partnership of eight organisations led by the Environment Agency. The partners include: Norfolk County Council, North Norfolk District Council, Borough Council of King’s Lynn and West Norfolk, Port of Wells, Norfolk Coast Partnership, Natural England and English Heritage.
The plan is based not only on the latest available scientific knowledge, but also upon the current legislative and funding arrangements for coastal defence management.
Following comments received through public consultation on the draft plan (held from July until November 2009), the SMP was reviewed and updated. We have written to everyone who commented on the draft plan to let them know how we have responded to their comments and how these have been taken into account in the final review.
To ensure completeness and consistency before progressing the plan for adoption and final approval, a national Quality Review Group (QRG) composed of experts from the Environment Agency, consultants, Natural England and Defra also reviewed the plan.
The policy options set out in the plan have now been adopted by all the partner local authorities and Natural England.
Following recommendations by QRG, the plan has been approved by the Environment Agency's Anglian Director. This confirms that all the necessary processes have been followed in the preparation of this SMP2 and that the reports follow the guidance note published by Defra in 2006.
The main document, appendices and other relevant documents can be downloaded from the links below.
- The SMP Main Report (21 Mbytes)
- Appendix A - SMP Development
- Appendix B - Engagement and consultation
- Appendix C - Baseline Processes
- Appendix D - Thematic Review
- Appendix E - Policy Development & Appraisal
- Appendix F - Shoreline Interactions & Responses (5 Mbytes)
- Appendix G - Policy Appraisal
- Appendix H - Economic Appraisal
- Appendix I - Bibliograpic Database
- Appendix J - Sustainability Appraisal Signposting
- Appendix K - Water framework directive compliance assessment
- Appendix L - Strategic Environmental Assessment (10 Mbyte)
- Appendix M - Appropriate Assessment
- Completion Report
- Item 8 North Norfolk Review
- Finalised QRG Spreadsheet - Review
- Finalised QRG Spreadsheet - Q & P
- Non-Technical Summary
- Plans. Policies and Programmes Assessment
- Post-Adoption Statement
- Statement of Environmental Particulars
- SMP Approval Form