Gibraltar Point to Old Hunstanton
The Wash Shoreline Management Plan covers approximately 110km of coast from Gibraltar Point to Old Hunstanton. It determines the best ways to manage the risks of flooding and coastal erosion in a sustainable way for the next 100 years.
The plan was developed by a partnership of fourteen organisations led by the Environment Agency. The partners include; Borough Council of King’s Lynn and West Norfolk, East Lindsey District Council, Boston Borough Council, South Holland District Council, Lincolnshire County Council, Norfolk County Council, Natural England, English Heritage, Water Management Alliance (representing the King’s Lynn and South Holland Internal Drainage Boards), National Farmers’ Union (representing a large number of landowners), Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (a landowner and special interest group), Wash Estuary Strategy Group and the Wash and North Norfolk Coast European Marine Site (two partnerships representing a wide range of stakeholders and organisations, some of which are also represented in their own right).
The plan is based not only on the latest available scientific knowledge, but also upon the current legislative and funding arrangements for coastal defence management.
Following comments received through public consultation on the draft plan (held from October 2009 until January 2010), the SMP was reviewed and updated. We have written to everyone who commented on the draft plan to let them know how we have responded to their comments and how these have been taken into account in the final review.
To ensure completeness and consistency before progressing the plan for adoption and final approval, a national Quality Review Group (QRG) composed of experts from the Environment Agency, consultants, Natural England and Defra also reviewed the plan.
The policy options set out in the plan have now been adopted by all the partner local authorities and Natural England.
Following recommendation by the QRG, the plan has been approved by the Environment Agency’s Anglian Director. This confirms that all the necessary processes have been followed in the preparation of this SMP2 and that the reports adhere to the Guidance Note published by Defra in 2006.
The main document, appendices and other relevant documents can be downloaded from the following links in .pdf format.
- The SMP Main Report
- Appendix A - SMP Development
- Appendix B - Stakeholder Engagement
- Appendix C - Baseline Processes
- Appendix D - Thematic Review
- Appendix E - Policy Development & Appraisal (4 Mbyte)
- Appendix F - Shoreline Interactions & Responses (7 Mbytes)
- Appendix G - Policy Appraisal
- Appendix H - Economics
- Appendix I - Bibliograpic Database
- Appendix J - Sustainability Appraisal Signposting
- Appendix K - Water Framework Directive Assessment
- Appendix L(i) - Strategic Environmental Assessment (5 Mbyte)
- Appendix L(ii) - Addendum to the Strategic Environmental Assessment
- Appendix M - Appropriate Assessment
- Finalised QRG Spreadsheet - Review
- Finalised QRG Spreadsheet - Q & P
- Statement of Environmental Particulars (5 Mbyte)
- SMP Approval Form
- Non-Technical Summary